Wednesday 13 June 2007

I am an Indian.

Never thought that I would ever feel so strongly about being an Indian.Never thought I would pen these thoughts and would give this feeling a new dimension.The sense of ones country is best described by the feeling of belongingness and this can never be felt more than when you are away from it.The feeling that your are defined by;the roots that bind you back and the memories which are both fond and abhorring.

The moment I tell soemone I am from India they are awestruck and they wonder if I could tell them more about the country.The next questions most likely are of the order How is the place? How beautiful it is ?How are the people? Does it really have so many languages? Why are your family values so strong?.Well it is difficult in words to explain what India or especially Mumbai, my city is .It is difficult to express, that the things are the way they are because the Indians throughly believe that whatever happens, always happens for the best.The longing to be back in my city and my country has never been more, now that I am away I know the true worth of something I always took for granted.

India,its not just a five letter word, its an identity.India is hot humid, corrupt, dirty, poor, filthy and a wreck.I love my country.I miss my country.I miss the little things like buying a vada pav from a road side stall or maybe grabbing a limbu sherbet when I was thirsty.I miss the filth, the dirt.I miss the disorganised government offices and the 20Rs bribes that I used to give the policemen to let me go when I broke the signal.I miss the flying dust, I miss the languages spoken around me, I miss speaking in Marathi, my second mothertongue.I miss the people, I cannot even start speaking of the people.I miss the stories, the funny ones and the terrible ones.I miss my streets where I could roam free, unaware of all the evil all around me.I accept the shortcomings and like every good Indian I will strive to work towards betterment and eventual perfection, but the shortcoming will not stop me from loving soemthing which is a part of me.

India is the culturally abundant, blessed by nature, diverse, warm and beautiful place that I call home.I am a city dweller and have never spent much time in villages.But whenever I remember the simplicity of an Indian village it touches my heart.I see the people with thier little smiles living in the most adverse conditions with no money and no facilities.The satisfaction of the farmer after a day's hard work is unrivalled.The complete utter trust in the Almighty that gives the Indian Dream wings is beyond compare.The family, the mother's care, the father's pride, the sister's love; the complete amalgamation of emotions and the sentiments of 120 crore people.That is what India is about.

India today maifests itself as one of the fastest growing economies,Indians conquering one citadel after another The pride today of being an Indian was always great, but today is even more manifested by the achievements of the countrymen and countrywomen.

I pray to God that we dont loose the real Indian in this mind boggling rat race.Let every Indian get a role to play in this ensuing mad battle to reign supreme.Let victory be ours.I hope we have the success of the whole world and at the same time I pray to God that, let the flame of the true spirit of my country never extinguish.Amen!!

6 comments:

Praveena said...

Amen!

i am sure u wldnt have realised wen n how u started rambling abt "i am an indian", by the time u ended it.. u just went on and on.. and

it seems to have come so naturally in this blog.. the flow was good.. and holds ur attention thru out..

ur blog made me miss the hyderabad panipuris and mirchi bajjis :(..

Dumdum!:D

SOULFUL LIFE said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

'The first expression when I tell someone that I am Indian is of wonder.'..y?

Ich_soll said...

@ammayi
The wonder is not that I dont seem Indian, the wondering is about the diversity of India.Now that you have pointed it out maybe I shud change the blog to mak eit sound right :)

Ich_soll said...

@dumdum
thanks and definitely I miss the mirchi bhajji from hyd too :)

@chana
Thanks.with motivation from right places i am sure ill right many more good ones.I appreciate criticism as well :)

Praveena said...

i demand for a new post from you..!!